Sunday, May 1, 2011

Joke Sunday

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength. Proverbs 17:22 NLT

I love laughter.  I love how I feel when I laugh or when others laugh.  I love how laughter transforms peoples faces contorts their bodies and relaxes them.  Even the most uptight person is relaxed when they laugh.  Laughter is contagious.  Look at all of those laughing babies on You Tube, who can watch one of those videos without laughing?  This Blog was originally called “Laughter and Light”. 

Today, the first Sunday in May, a group called Laughter Yoga International promotes World Laughter Day; World Peace through Laughter today.  This year the Sunday after Easter happened to fall on the first Sunday in May.  In the early years of the Christian Church some celebrated this day as Holy Humor Sunday or Bright Sunday.  Today at Saint Francis of Assisi we had Holy Humor (or joke) Sunday.  Joke Sunday is beautiful mixture of the sacred and the absurd, and sooo me.

I laugh in church anyway and I’m sure some would think me irreverent, but oh well.  I mean sometimes things are just funny and a chuckle is appropriate. 

What was my point?  Oh yeah..laughter is healing, it reduces stress, it increases blood flow.  One study shows that it burns calories another that laughter boosts the  immune system.  It helps breathing and expands the lungs.  The bottom line is laughter makes me feel better. “mindful laughing”?  Sometimes I laugh so hard I cry and that makes me feel better.  So Laugh, Smile, Dance......








Did you hear the one about the Priest, the Rabbi and the Minister? 

No comments: