Thursday, August 14, 2008

found this on Mad priest's site

Mad Priest is my blogging hero....
I found this on his sight and thought it worth passing on.
The last paragraph troubles me though.

“What’s most tragic about this cycle, though, is the fact that there’s always a constituency for guys like this. I fear that it’s more than just P.T. Barnum’s famous old maxim about the gullibility of the American public. I fear that there’s something missing in our churches that drives even some of our people to charlatans. Might there be less of a demand for these traveling health-and-wealth revivalists if our churches spent more time on our knees in prayer for sick and hurting people?”

Perhaps it isn't was is missing from our churches perhaps it is the fact that critical thinking isn't taught much in schools in the US. I mean look at who "we" have for a president. Yes there are some teachers who still teach critical thinking, but being underpaid and lacking supplies some are just hanging on afraid to buck the system.

Perhaps it is because so many Americans lack health insurance, or aren't covered for so called pre existing conditions I read in the NY Times that the US ranks last in preventable deaths in industrialized nations.
So maybe we might get off our knees and work to improve education and health care.

I will stop now.

No comments: